Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Weekend Fishing Report

Well, I have been fishing since the big trip down south. I went last Friday to Lake Monona, after throwing a few at lunch, I decided it was just to nice to pass up the opportunity. Foxy and her friend IKTI had a night out planned, so I called the in-laws to come watch Boo. They agreed to and I made my way to lake Monona. It was a beautiful evening to be on the water, pleasant, calm, and quiet. I drove over to Squaw Bay and decided to dive right into the slop. I proceed to cast a soft plastic frog. I ended up with 3 Bass on the evening. I probably missed another 6. I went through about 10-15 frogs, which kinda sucks. The weeds are unreal this year, I think they get worse every year. I actually feel sorry for anyone who lives on the lake, aside from the wonderful smell, it looks pretty tough just getting a boat in and out. You obviously can't swim or enjoy the water either. Well, anyway I tried a couple other things, T-rigged plastic worms, my new $8 SPro Bronze Eye frog (stupid $8), etc... Seemed the only action was coming on the soft plastic frogs, which I was peeved at mostly because I was tearing them up so fast. There has to be a better way. I am not impressed with the 6 packs of Mann's Hardnose frogs I bought either, my hope was they would last longer, they don't. I think I'll stick with the Zoom Horney Toads. These soft plastic frogs are just the ticket for this mossy nasty weeds we have in these lakes, they work like a buzzbait, and generally don't get too hung up. I found if I could throw them into a pocket they would get less weeds. So that was my trip to Monona.

On Saturday we headed for Rock Lake in Lake Mills. There are bass everywhere in this lake, I always seem to do pretty well here. I tried throwing my SPro and T-Rigged 10" worm. I also tried a Carolina Rigged lizard, worm, and brush hog. I tried the inlet next to the launch we usually use with no takers. I ran over to the railroad trussel, which is where I was running the c-rig. No takers. I knew I should have retied my c-rig and suddenly I threw it on a cast. I decided to tie on a 3/0 Gamy and Wacky Rig a Yum Dinger. First cast, FISH ON!!!!! I boated about 9 fish, 5 LM and 4 Rock bass. Only one of the LM was really a keeper, but I had fun either way. I've had more luck with the wacky rig there than anywhere. Not sure if people don't use it or if it just looks good in the clear water there. We have been having fun taking Boo to the beach there so hopefully there will be more fishing trips to Rock lake in the future. I'll be sure to pack the dingers.

I'm headed to Lake Mendota for some perch fishing on Friday with FGAW. I'll probalby have at least one other day on the lake during our long holiday weekend as well. Until then Tight Lines!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home