Thursday, May 04, 2006

Chatterbaits, Chatterbaits whose got the Chatterbaits!!!

Every year (especially in bass fishing) there are new trends, new "hot" baits, and new fishing techniques. Are these just ploys by bait companies to con you into spending your child's educational funds on new fishing tackle? Probably. Am I guilty of falling into this trap? Aside from spending Boo's nonexistent educational fund, yes. Last year it was the Rapala X-rap that got me and the Zoom Horney Toads (which seem to be REALLY popular this year). Actually I haven't been too bad, as I am still really learning the tried and true fishing techniques. Well this year seems to be extraordinary, there seem to be a lot of "hot" baits. So called hot bass baits tend to develop at the pro level and work they're way down to the amateur. This years top bait is the Chatterbait. It's a cross between a spinnerbait and a swim jig (which I'll get to), has lots of action, and just happened to perform very well at this year's Bassmaster Classic. Due to the large audience, between BASS and FLW, demand for the chatterbait has exploded. The company has not been able to keep up with the orders, not too mention the big box stores have gotten involved, which are chewing up individuals orders. I ordered two and it took about 5 weeks for them to get here. Well, I just found out that Dick's Sporting Goods was carrying them. So this morning I called the two locations here in Madison, sure enough they are in stock. Well, FGAW was totally geeked about it and we nearly ran out the door for an emergency lure run. I got another two FGAW bought 8! Personally I think these baits are just something the fish haven't seen, fish get used to the same 'ole lures. Thus creating this years new "HOT" bait. The other bait that has sucked me into the trap are swim jigs. The concept has been around for a long time, but has recently been revisited by fishermen and perfected by bait companies. So, of course, I have picked up a couple swim jigs. Although, it occurred to me that the Chatterbait is really just a glorified swim jig. So this year in 3 days I will have my Chatterbait tied on, probably going to be the first thing I throw. Hopefully Saturday Night I will get a call or email from FGAW raving about how he absolutely slammed them on his brand new hot bait, the CHATTERBAIT!!!! Oh well if they don't work, they are going for $20 a piece on Ebay.

1 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Roxy said...

Her savings probably has more $$$ in it then ours does. plus that giant pepsi bottle bank is about 1/4 full already, thanks to grumpy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home